Sahail Ashraf posted on 14 December 2017
2018 will be a bumper year for brands on social media, simply due to the pace of change in the space they operate in. At the same time, there are plenty of events and growth opportunities for them to latch onto as well.
Here is the Locowise Social Media Content Calendar for the year 2018. It’s a list of holidays, big events and other trending topics that people will talk about. Use it to plan out social media content campaigns for the year ahead.
We find that knowing what is going on and when in a year makes it a whole lot easier to pull together quality content that has an impact with strong relevance. It helps to keep your content fresh and grows your audience too. And if you include the holiday content ideas into your calendar early on, you will not miss an important holiday.
Not all of these events will be relevant to your brand but do go through them, consider them all and pick those that you find will bring you the biggest content and engagement opportunities. Add other relevant opportunities for your brand too.
● 1st January is New Year’s Day. It’s all about Resolutions….
● 15th January The Australian Open Kicks off the year for sports, in Adelaide, and is the first Tennis Grand Slam event of the year (tennis is a great area to build marketing around, especially as the year progresses).
● 15th January is Martin Luther King Day.
● 25th January 2018 is Robert Burns Night.
● 4th February brings The Superbowl. One word for social media brands: Oreo.
● 13th February is Shrove Tuesday or the Pancake Day.
● 14th February is Valentine’s Day (if you’re stuck for what to do on social this time of year, check out our Valentine’s guide).
● 16th February is Chinese New Year. This year it’s the Year of the Rooster (or Year of Nandos).
● 17th February is Random Acts of Kindness Day.
● 9th-25th February sees The Winter Olympics in South Korea.
● 16th February sees London Fashion Week (see here for how fashion can be an incredibly powerful force on social).
● 1st March 2018 is Saint David’s Day (Patron Saint of Wales).
● 1st-2nd March is Holi.
● 8th March is International Woman’s Day. Brands can do their bit to raise the awareness, like the Western Union did.
● 11th March 2018 is Mother’s Day in the UK (also Grandmother’s Day in France).
● 17th March 2018 is St Patrick’s Day (quite possibly one of the most marketable days of the year).
● 24th March has the Earth Hour, and here are some examples of inspiration on social media from 2017.
● 30th March-April 2nd is the Easter. Are you doing a hunt on your social media?
● April 1st is April Fool’s Day.
● April 1st also sees the start of National Pet Month. Jetblue has an amazing approach to pets and their customers for social.
● April 5th-8th sees the Golf Masters in Augusta, USA.
● April 7th is the National Beer Day #NationalBeerDay
● April 11th is the Pet Day #NationalPetDay
● April 13-16th is Songkran (“Thai New Year”).
● April 14th brings The Grand National at Aintree in Liverpool
● 10th April 2018 is Siblings Day in the USA.
● 22nd April is London Marathon, and Earth Day.
● 23rd April 2018 is St George’s Day (Patron Saint of England).
● 25th April is Anzac Day.
● 25th April 2018 is also Administrative Professional’s Day (formerly Secretary’s Day).
● May 1st is Labour Day.
● 2nd May is a Thank a Teacher Day #ThankATeacher
● 4th May is International Firefighter’s Day. It is also Star Wars Day (if you need inspiration for ‘May The Fourth’ go here).
● 5th May is Cinco de Mayo
● 8th May 2018 is National Teacher’s Day in the USA.
● 13th May is Mother’s Day.
● 14th-20th May is National Sandwich Week in the UK.
● 12th-19th May is National Doughnut Week (don’t try too hard, these guys will be all over it).
● May 19th has the FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium, London.
● May 22nd is Buddha’s Birthday.
● May 22nd is also the Chelsea Flower Show.
● May 26th is the Champions League Final.
● May 28th is the Hamburger Day #NationalHamburgerDay
● May 29th is Vesak Day.
● May 27th-June 10th has The French Open in Paris, the second tennis Grand Slam.
● 5th June is the World Environment Day.
● 14th June-15th July, the FIFA World Cup, football’s crowning event, in Russia.
● June 15th is Hari Raya Puasa / Eid al-Fitr.
● 17th June 2018 is Father’s Day in the UK.
● 21st June 2018 is Summer Solstice in the UK, the ‘longest day’.
● 21st June is also the Selfie Day #NationalSelfieDay
● July 2nd is Wimbledon Championships, tennis’ third Grand Slam of 2018.
● July 6th 2018 is International Kissing Day. Here’s some marketing magic to inspire.
● 11th July is World Population Day.
● July 7th-29th is the Tour De France
● July 19th-22nd has the Summer X Games (extreme sports) in Minneapolis, USA.
● July 30th 2018 is International Friendship Day.
● 5th August 2018 is National Sister’s day.
● August 6th-12th US PGA Golf in Missouri, USA.
● 13th August is International Left Handers Day.
● 16th August is the Tell a Joke Day #NationalTellAJoke
● 17th August 2018 is Qixi (sometimes referred to as ‘Chinese Valentine’s Day’).
● August 21st-22nd is Hari Raya Haji / Eid al-Adha.
● August 27th has the final tennis Grand Slam, the US Open in New York.
● September 2nd is Father’s Day in Australia & New Zealand.
● 6th September is the Read a Book Day #ReadABookDay
● 9th September 2018 is Grandparent’s Day 2018 in the USA.
● 21st September is the International Day of Peace #InternationalDayOfPeace
● 23rd September 2018 is Autumnal Equinox (the first day of Autumn).
● September 23rd-25th is Chuseok (“Korean Thanksgiving”).
● Oktoberfest starts in Munich, Germany (plenty of beer, and then some more on top).
● October 1st is World Vegetarian Day.
● October 1st is also the International Coffee Day #InternationalCoffeeDay
● October 7th 2018 is Grandparent’s day UK.
● 28th October 2018 is Mother-in-Law Day.
● October brings the US World Series Baseball.
● 31st October 2018 is Halloween.
● October also brings Diwali, a perfect opportunity to enjoy great Indian food, and other aspects of the culture. Sounds like some great behind the scenes content at the office?
● 4th November is the Candy Day #NationalCandyDay
● 5th November 2018 is Guy Fawkes Night.
● 11th November is Armistice Day.
● 13th November is World Kindness Day.
● 22nd November is Thanksgiving USA.
● 23rd November 2018 is Black Friday. Get your offers ready.
● 26th November 2018 is Cyber Monday.
● November 19th is International Men’s Day.
● Christmas. Enough said, and here’s some seasonal Christmas marketing goodness from last year. And the guys who ‘invented’ Santa. And our take on how to get this month right.
● End of the year content works well too. Summary of the year. Predictions for the new year.
● December 26th is also the Thank You Note Day #ThankYouNoteDay
When you’re doing all of that great social media throughout the year, make sure you can give your clients the best metrics with gorgeous visuals thrown in too. Try Locowise for seven days, absolutely free.